<  Recruitment  ~  Legendary System is the worst.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 7125Location: Mom's CouchJoined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Part of Legion is the legendary system. Where as you play you'll randomly get a best in slot orange item that you use for the rest of the expansion. Some of them are obscenely overpowered and will make your character permanently do 30%+ more DPS. Some are garbage and would make you worse if you wore them.

The problem is out of a pool of 15 you can only get 4 on the character and then they never drop again due to the "bad luck protection" soft cap. This led to many serious raiders abandoning geared 110 characters over and over again once they got 4 garbage ones and would do 70% less DPS then if they had gotten "luckier"

A user post with hard data about what a fuckover the system was came out and much rage toiled on the forums. Blizzards immediately responded with the crap below but it only fixes one of the many horrible problems with the Leg sysyem.

For example, I got the worst legendary in the game 2 days ago on a toon I don't plan to play. That means my bad luck protection is reset and it will be another four months before I have a chance at my current rate of play to get another legendary. Fucking good job Blizz.

As its name suggests, the "bad luck protection" system exists to protect the unluckiest players from the cruel fate of the dice. Those who were on the other end of the spectrum in terms of good fortune, we figured, didn't need a system to help put them even farther ahead of the rest of the world. And we drew that line at 4 legendaries, initially, planning to raise it as time went on. Once you'd gotten 4, you could absolutely get more, but the invisible hand of "bad luck protection" would no longer help you. Almost by definition, if you had 4 legendaries in, say, early October, you were super-lucky. You didn't need help getting more.

What we genuinely did not anticipate was just how much some of the very most dedicated players would play, mainly in pursuit of Artifact Power. By mid-November, we started to hear questions about whether there was some sort of 4-legendary limit, and we realized that there existed a group of players that had done so much content that they actually had an expected legendary count of around 4. They hadn't needed to be unusually lucky to get there. (Note that this is a very small group. They're overrepresented in these discussions, because this issue concerns them, but we're talking about hundreds of people out of millions.)

So we removed that soft cap just over a week ago. "Bad luck protection" now applies indefinitely. Most of the players in this category have probably been focusing on Mythic Trial of Valor for the past week, and since wiping repeatedly to raid bosses during progress sadly can't award legendaries, they haven't had a chance to see the effects of the change just yet. If/when some players get to a point when they have every legendary available for their spec, then so be it. They certainly will have earned it, and there will be more coming in future patches. The Unique-Equipped limit keeps the power gap between the haves and have-nots reasonable, and we'll continue to adjust the effectiveness of the outlier legendaries (coming up in patch 7.1.5) with the goal of keeping them exciting but not gamebreaking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 3024Location: Winnipeg.MBJoined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:54 pm
yaaaa that system does sound really lame.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:43 am
Xnub wrote:
Posting in the wrong forum is also the worst.

Last edited by Revenant on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:09 am
Revenant wrote:
Xnub wrote:
Posting in the wrong forum and also the worst.

eh i figured you were starting a new thing in the recruitment thread. :D

Give it time, sounds like they sort of care ? lol maybe in 7.2.5 or w/e it will be completely fixed..... maybe ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 3310Location: Ontario, CanadaJoined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:47 pm
Sorry, I don't think you're quite what you're looking for at this point in pasta.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 4707Location: Reno, NVJoined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:08 pm
Huh? what about pasta?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:36 pm
zakilu wrote:
Huh? what about pasta?
sometimes I wonder if everyone in this guild is a morbidly obese hamplanet and just pretends like they are a functioning human with a human body.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:50 pm
User avatarSite AdminPosts: 13466Location: OntarioJoined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:20 am
I barely function.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 pm
Forsa wrote:
I barely function.

Functioning as opposed to living about sums me up :mrgreen:

Also what happened to this pasta ..... I'm hungry

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 pm
Forsa wrote:
I barely function.
Without WOW your hands must have gotten really weak over the years. Maybe you need to do some strength training on them.